Wednesday 15 May 2019

Talking about "The Green New Deal And A Universal Basic Income" with Thomas Fuller

TF posts The Green New Deal And A Universal Basic Income; I commented the below. Let's see how the discussion goes.


This is doomed in so many ways (I say that as someone definitely interested in an UBI, and perhaps even a supporter of it).
> but few would argue we are doing enough
I think you’re wrong. I think many people would (in the sense of proportion of those-that-bother-to-even-think-about-it). Also, I’d guess your averages hide a lot.
> a permanent net loss of positions
A bit like when farming was mechanised. Or when spinning was. Oh, but this time is different… And who knows, maybe it is. But I’m dubious.
> primary premises of The Green New Deal is “Guaranteeing a job with…
I think this is a bad idea and it’s one of the reasons that I oppose the GND. But then I’m a small-govt person.
> endorsement by us for
You speak in the plural. Who is “us”?
> sovereign wealth fund
You don’t have a SWF because you don’t have a budget surplus, you have a (massive, by world standards) deficit. If you could raise extra income through magic free taxes, there would be pressure to (a) pay down the deficit; but also (see recent politics) to give out freebies and/or cut other taxes.
> it wouldn’t take long …. By 2030 we could have a nice nest egg built up
Sorry, but this is where you get delusional. Can you genuinely imagine a large nest egg building up, and your rapacious pols not raiding it for their own pet pork projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment